Best Friends Dog Training and
Behaviour Class Policies for Scent Work
Health and behaviour of participating dogs
- Dogs may not participate in class if they are sick or recovering from illness. Your dog may not come to class if it has any kind of communicable disease or parasite, such as fleas. In this instance, I will apply a credit towards future classes.
- Dogs in heat may attend classes.
- Dogs must be current on vaccinations for parvovirus and distemper or been titer tested.
- You must disclose if your dog has a bite history and, if so, I reserve the right to determine if your dog may attend the class.
- Classes are not appropriate for dogs who display aggressive behaviour to people.
- I reserve the right to decide that the class is not the right fit for your dog if their behaviour disrupts the class or poses a threat to the safety of the people in the class. In this instance, I will apply a credit from your payment towards private training.
- Dogs must remain on leash at all times, unless instructed otherwise. Please do not allow your dog off leash during class, or when walking to and from your car before or after class, unless instructed otherwise.
- Dogs must be comfortable staying in your car while waiting their turn to work.
- Please do not allow your dog to greet other dogs if encounter them walking to and from your car before or after your turn to work.
- Dogs come to class to work and to help them understand that, we do not interact with other people's dogs in class.
- Nosework: Dogs should wear a harness or flat buckle collar and you should have your dog on a six foot - 15 foot leash. We do not allow the use of retractable leashes, or martingale, choke, prong, or e-collars.
- Mantrailing: Dogs must wear a harness for safety reasons.
- Participants must complete a registration form prior to class.
- Payment must be made by e-transfer to email@example.com upon receipt of invoice to hold your spot.
- At least 7 days notice is required for rescheduling to another class or cancelling for a refund. Your spot in the class is forfeit if notice is less than 7 days.
- A $20 processing fee is applied for refunds/cancellations with sufficient notice.
- We do not offer makeup sessions for missed classes.
- Children are welcome to attend class but must be 7 or older. Please let me know if you are bringing a child and the age of the child.
- Children under 10 must be supervised by one adult who is not the main handler for the dog in class. This is to ensure the safety of the child, the other class participants, and the dogs.
- If you bring a child to class, you are responsible for your child at all times. Children must not be allowed to approach the dogs and people in class, or interact with any of the equipment, without the instructor's explicit permission.
- You have the right to refuse any part of the program including any training exercises you feel are not appropriate for your dog. I encourage you to let me know if this is the case so that I can adjust the program to meet your needs.
- You have the right to ask questions at all times about the training being offered and to be clear on all relevant details before consenting to the training.
- You have the right to expect that you and your dog are treated with respect, consideration, and kindness at all times.